Thursday, July 19, 2012

Beans, beans, beans!!

Oh my goodness! I just made THE.BEST.BEAN.SOUP.EVER!!!  And I'm so proud of myself, I made it all up. I could not wait to blog about this, even though it's late and past my bedtime!

I started off yesterday with some dried beans like in the picture above.  You can buy these already mixed like this in the dried beans section (next to rice, I believe).  They are packaged like that with a recipe and spices for soup.  I threw away the spices and opted for fresh veggies instead.  Let me (hopefully) come up with a recipe:

  • 2 cups dry bean mixture
  • 1 quart Swanson's low-sodium vegetable broth
  • 1/2 onion (chopped)
  • 2 green bell peppers (chopped)
  • 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
  • 2 stalks celery (chopped)
  • 3 carrots (peeled and chopped)
  • 1 quart tomatoes (drained)
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1/8 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper 
Soak the beans in water overnight.  Drain and rinse.  Place the beans and vegetable stock in large pot.  Bring to a boil.  Add chopped veggies, garlic, tomatoes and spices.  Simmer on low for about 1 1/2 hours.

DELICIOUS!!

 This would be great paired with some brown rice! 

5 comments:

  1. Looks DElicious!!!! I am loving all of your recipes Pam!!!!! So excited to try this bean recipe. Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Emmeline! I laughed when David told me that when he told you to look at my blog, you and Kara said.... that's sooooo yesterday! HAHA Awesome. By having people interested and looking at my blog, motivates ME! Oh my goodness, this bean soup was so AMAZING! Now, the Famous Fuhrman anti-cancer soup? ehhhh I didn't like it at all. Steve LOVED it! HAHA

      Delete
  2. Looks wonderful! How many servings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm good question. I would guess 6 servings. We eat a LOT of beans though! We would eat this with 1/2 cup brown rice too. MMMMMMmmmmmmmmm! Sooo good!

      Delete
  3. Guess what I am cooking right now? It looked so good I couldn't wait......I put mine in a slow cooker and am chomping at the bit to try it!

    ReplyDelete