Monday, July 16, 2012

Collard Greens with black-eyed peas

This was a dinner I made a few nights ago and it was quite delicious.  I had been waiting to make this dish because I couldn't find currants anywhere.  I even scoured our local health food store Basic Foods.  But, to no avail.  I finally bought some from www.nuts.com They were a little pricey, but this place knows what they are doing.  WONDERFUL service!  By the way, you can use raisins instead of currants, but I'm a real stickler for the proper ingredients.  My sister-in-law Esther made this with raisins and said it was great.  Here is the recipe: 


Collard Greens with Black-eyed Peas and Currants

Serves:Preparation Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:

1 large onion, sliced
1 cup low sodium or no-salt-added vegetable broth
1/2 pound chopped, washed collard greens
1/4 cup currants or raisins
1 1/2 cups cooked black eyed peas 

1/8 teaspoon hot pepper flakes


Instructions:
Heat 2-3 tablespoons of the vegetable broth in a large skillet, add onion slices and saute until tender. Add collards, remaining vegetable broth and currants, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for 5 minutes or until collards are tender. Stir in black eyed peas and hot pepper flakes and heat through.

Any white bean may be substituted for black eyed peas. YUM YUMMMMMM

No comments:

Post a Comment