Saturday, July 14, 2012

The WONDERFUL Green Smoothie

This is our AMAZING green smoothie that we have enjoyed every morning since July 1, 2012.  Let me begin by saying we bought the BEST blender that we could find, and we paid a pretty price for it.  We have tried blenders in the past, and they have never quite done the trick, or died before a month was past.  Steve did tremendous research.  His sisters Priscilla and Rebecca had told us about this, and Jeff (Rebecca's husband) swears by his green smoothie every day.  We recently came back from a GLORIOUS trip to California where we stayed with Steve's sister Elizabeth and her darling family.  We experienced the Blendtec firsthand, and was sold.  This was kind of a key to us beginning our journey... the BLENDTEC blender.  IT IS AMAZING!!  With that being said... here is our recipe for this smoothie (keep in mind... it probably has too much fruit and we are getting ready to tweak it soon.  We just had to have the sweetness for the beginning)  I buy the BIG frozen bags of of strawberries, blueberries, and mango/pineapple mixture, and of course... spinach.  So the FIRST thing I do when I wake up, is take out the strawberries, mango/pineapple, and blueberries.  I measure them, and set them out to thaw.  Then I proceed to take my shower, and get my self ready.

I add the ingredients in this order:

  • 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 3/4 cup pomegranate juice
  • 5 ounces spinach
  • 1 cup blueberries
  • 2 cups strawberries
  • 2 cups mango/pineapple
  • 1 banana
  • 2 Tlbs. flax seed

I start the blender on slow speed, and then speed it up over time.  This is enough for 2 people.  This will last us all the way until lunch.  ENJOY!! 

11 comments:

  1. Good for you Pam! I wouldn't thaw the fruit though because if you do it frozen it makes your drink nice and cold. : )

    I too have a Green Smoothie every morning. It's the only way I have found to maintain my weight. Once menopause hit I couldn't keep the weight off any more. I started out with fruit also, but now don't use ANY at all, but eat it as a snack between meals.

    My smoothies consist of 1/2 cup almond milk, 1/2 cup coconut milk, large handful of spinach, 2 carrots, 2 celery sticks, and then a cup or two of various vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, kale, red/yellow peppers. (It's different every day.) It's important to get a variety of veggies. I also add a bit of fresh ginger root, REAL cinnamon, cold-ground flaxseed, and Maca. Oh and a dash of STEVIA to sweeten it! I throw in some ice cubes because it's much better cold. This makes 4 to 5 cups which I drink all myself. It fills me up for hours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth :) I found that when I don't thaw out the fruits, the smoothie is too thick even for my powerful blender. Like I said, we need to decrease the fruits, but it's a great start! Thanks for the tips on the veggies. We are trying to migrate more to something like that. Thanks for you comment!

      Delete
  2. I am going to follow this blog!
    Way to go Pam! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Natalie! Every bit of encouragement helps me and gives me stamina to keep going. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. I have a juicer and felt like it wasted so much nutrition! Thanks for the inspiration:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AW... I have a juicer, but I've never used it! I think I'm pulling it out today though because the soup recipe I want to try calls for fresh carrot and celery juice. I will post about that soup later. Thanks for your comments Kim! :)

      Delete
  4. I'm excited to follow your blog too! I've been playing with a more whole foods lifestyle for a couple of years but I have never bit the bullet and just gone full into it. I'm super proud of you! Another site you might enjoy is greensmoothiegirl.com. I've learned a lot from her blog. I drink at least a quart of green smoothie a day too - 1 part water, 1 part blended greens, 1 part fruit. Jared & three of my kids drink them regularly too:) You'll get to where you need less fruit but just keep making them and enjoying watching that spinach fly off of your shelf! We need to love what we eat or we won't keep up the habits!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job Pam! Love the blog. I recently watched "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" and it got me interested. Love the pics and recipes. I drink one a day (don't know the recipe - Wendy makes them - but with kale, oranges, carrots). Keep blogging about it -- love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Clint! You are very inspiring neighbors and we LOVE YOU guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will have to add this to our menu. (which I am about to switch over to blog style as well)

    ReplyDelete