Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Collard Greens

I've always had a hard time with collard greens.  Sadly, Dr. Fuhrman counts them as nutrient dense, so I realize this is something that I must learn to like/love.  Today I remembered back in the day when I was little, we had a garden full of swiss chard. My mom would wilt the swiss chard (probably through the steaming method) and add vinegar, salt, and pepper.  I loved that.  I thought about recreating that with the collard greens.  We had a big bag in the fridge that I had bought earlier at HEB that needed to be used up.  This bag contained already washed, and chopped collard greens.  I looked on the bag and it seemed to have a great recipe.  We had a jar of tomatoes, that somehow didn't seal when we were canning, that needed to be used.  This was the outcome.  And, they were actually pretty good.  This is the recipe:

1/2 pound chopped collard greens
2 Tlbs. Italian seasoning
1 15 oz. can tomatoes

Simple!  You put the collard greens in a good sized pot and cover them with water.  Bring the water to boil, then turn down the heat to simmer for 10 minutes.  After the 10 minutes are up, drain 1/2 the water.  Add the seasoning and the tomatoes (you can add the juice from the jar if you want). We simmered for 10 minutes more on low.  They were actually quite tasty. 

Our dinner consisted of 1/2 cup brown rice, 1 small sweet potato (my FAVORITE part of the meal), a small portion of navy beans (I had cooked these earlier), 1/4 avocado sliced, about 2 Tlbs. salsa.  We also had a bowl full of cherries, and a glass of water.  PERFECT!

2 comments:

  1. I put collard greens and chard in my smoothies... and the texture is frothier than spinach but I think it tastes just as good. Just another way to get them in... b/c I don't eat collard greens otherwise;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOhhhhh! Thanks Melanie :) I have still a good portion of that package left in my fridge and I don't want them to go bad. Great tip!

    ReplyDelete